Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Learning in a Digital World




In the business of teaching and learning, I believe that it is critical and non-negotiable for educators to allow students to fall between the cracks. With my many educational experiences, I have focused on principles from each learning theory that can explain the how and why of learning. “Learning theories provide different perspectives on the complex phenomena of learning and complement one another in their ability to explain different types of learning situations,” (Shuell, 2012). Once I become familiar with those principles, I can use them to shape the way I approach my students in respect to how they learn. It’s important as educators to recognize that our students do not learn with a one-size-fit all approach. We must use different principles, strategies and differentiated instruction to meet out students’ needs.

With the experience I have as an educator, I have been exposed to the face-to-face learning environment as well as the online learning environment. As a frequent learner of the online learning environment, I believe that technology has a great impact on the way I learn. With online learning, I am able to collaborate with other learners in different locations and learn different strategies they use with their students. I also have the opportunity to utilize different technology tools that I probably would not use if I were in a face-to-face setting. Overall, learning theories and the use of technology have really increased my knowledge on using the best practices as an educator in order to increase student achievement.

Reference:

Shuell, Thomas. (2012). Theories of Learning. Retrieved from http://www.education.com/reference/article/theories-of-learning/

 
Blogs I responded to:


Seane- http://www.learningsquared.blogspot.com




No comments:

Post a Comment